History of Cornerstone Christian School
CCS began in 1986 when a few local families were inspired by God to establish a Christian school.
The property at 1502 North Jefferson Street belonged to Riverside Baptist Church and became available in the spring of 1986. In early 1987, the building and property were purchased with the intent to lease it to Cornerstone for $1 per year. In 1994, a certificate gift deed was granted to CCS with the understanding it would continue to function as a Christian educational facility.
Important dates in CCS history:
- 1986 — Property at 1502 North Jefferson Street becomes available, and school is founded.
- 1987 —Mary and Wilbur Anderson purchase the building and property to lease to CCS for $1 per year.
- 1993 —Ground breaking to construct a new gymnasium for student physical education, athletic activities, and general school assemblies.
- 1994 —Certificate gift deed granted to CCS
- 1996 — First basketball tournament held at CCS.
- 1999 — TAAPS accreditation
- 2004 — Cafeteria and three tennis courts constructed.
- 2009 — Ground breaking for elementary school, a gymnasium addition, enlarged parking lot, and updates to existing educational facilities.
- 2010 — Elementary campus opened for K4 through 5th grade.
All expansions and advances were made possible by private donors and with grants.